It’s no secret that weed gummies are growing increasingly popular. The truth is, it’s hardly surprising. They help you relax; they’re good for pain relief and so much more.
Yet, many people wonder how long it takes for you to process edibles, and it’s understandable. You might have work the following day, or perhaps you’re worried you’ll test positive in an upcoming drug test.
Either way, you’ve done your research, and most websites tell you this: the amount of time cannabis edibles stay in your system varies from person to person.
It’s not very helpful, but unfortunately, it’s true and the most straightforward answer to give. Your body can break down edibles in just a few days, or they might still be in your system a month later.
Yet, knowing this won’t be of much use—especially if you don’t want marijuana edibles staying in your system and have a drug test coming up.
Here at Dad Grass, we like to cut the BS.
Therefore, we’re going to take a look at the different factors that impact how long it takes for you to process weed edibles. We’ll also look at how you can safely take them without them negatively affecting your everyday life.
We can’t guarantee you’ll pass a drug test (especially if you have a drug test immediately after eating the edibles), but we can ensure you’ll have everything you need to get started with edibles today. Let’s get started.
What Determines The Length Of Time Edibles Stay In Your System?
Multiple factors determine how long it takes for your digestive system to process edibles. These are:
- Your age. As you age, your metabolism and digestive tract slow down. . Simply put, the older you are, the longer edibles will stay in your system for.
- Gender. In most cases, women have a slower metabolism than men . This means men are likely to process edibles more quickly than women.
- Body mass index. A National Library of Medicine study found that human metabolism is tied to body mass index . In plainer terms, edibles will stay in your system for longer if you have a high BMI.
- Strength/strain of the CBD/THC. This one’s a given — the more potent the THC, the longer it stays in your system for. This is why at Dad Grass, we’re clear about the strength of our gummies. For example, Dad Grass Gummies Trio contains 300 mg CBD and CBG per bottle and 10 mg CBD and CBG per gummy.
- Quantity of edibles taken. Again, another given. The more gummies you take, the longer they stay in your system for. We provide clear usage instructions for our gummies and recommend that you only pop 1 or 2 a day (or before bed if you’re using our Nighttime formula).
- Usage history. A study on monitoring drug usage  found that if you only use drugs occasionally (i.e. one time use), they’ll only be detectable for a short period. However, if you’re a frequent drug user (or are often smoking weed), the drugs will remain in your system for much longer.
- Pre-existing medical conditions. Many pre-existing medical conditions, including chronic diseases, obesity, Cushing’s syndrome, diabetes, and more, can lead to a slower metabolism. As mentioned above, the slower your metabolism, the longer edibles last in your system. Therefore, if you have a pre-existing medical condition, you should consult your general practitioner before taking any Dad Grass products.
Given the above, we hope you can estimate how long edibles will remain in your system for. To play it safe, a good rule of thumb is to assume they’ll be in your system anywhere between 3–12 days.
However, if you have an upcoming drug test, the length of time drugs can be detected varies depending on your test type. Let’s take a look.
When Is It Safe To Take A Drug Test After Taking Edibles?
First, we should establish that if you’re eating CBD edibles, the chances are it won’t show up in a drug test. Most drug tests look for high THC levels — otherwise known as the substance that gives you that “buzzed” feeling.
With that in mind, if you’ve taken THC, the answer to the above question depends on the type of drug test you’re taking. Here’s the breakdown:
|Drug Test||Length Of Time THC Can Be Detected For|
|Hair test||90 days|
|Urine test||3-30 days (depending on the amount of THC and strain of THC consumed)|
|Saliva test||1-3 days|
|Blood test||3-4 days|
Important note: You might think that because you’re eating CBD/THC gummies, they can’t be detected in a hair test, but this isn’t true. Edibles can still be detected in a hair test.
As you can see, drugs containing high amounts of THC are easiest to detect when taking a hair test. However, you must take this data with a pinch of salt. As mentioned above, the amount of time drugs stay in your system varies from person to person, and it’s the same when taking a test.
To surmise, drugs with high THC concentrations can be detected for 90 days after you eat or smoke them, and CBD drugs are unlikely to be detected.
Knowing this, we can now move on to the fun part. Let’s look at how long it takes for edibles to kick in.
How Long Marijuana Edibles Take To Kick In - The Simple Truth
When you’re eating a CBD or THC gummy, it takes longer to kick in than when you’re smoking marijuana. Depending on your metabolism, it can take between 30 minutes to two hours before you feel the effects of a CBC or THC gummy.
Fun Fact: When smoking or vaping CBD/THC, it only takes a few minutes before you feel the effects.
That said, because you metabolize an edible more slowly than when smoking or vaping cannabis, the effects of the edible last longer. The ‘high’ feeling from an edible can last up to 12 hours, and you can even feel the effects of it into the next day.
The peak feeling also comes in at around the three to four-hour mark. With smoking, you hit your peak between a few minutes or thirty minutes after.
In other words, if you’re taking edibles for the first time, don’t feel the need to take more if you don’t feel the effects immediately. You don’t need to compensate. The dosing instructions on our Dad Grass gummies are tried and tested, and popping just one to two gummies a day is all you need to feel the effects for the entire day (and even into the following day!).
Get Started With Dad Grass Gummies Today
Have you ever heard the phrase, all good things come in threes? That’s the motivation behind our Dad Gass Gummies Trio.
You may be a pro at smoking weed, but trying other substances like our Dad Grass Trio has some great advantages. Let’s take a look at each product in the trio.
First, our Goodtime Formula does exactly what it says — it makes you feel good. It helps you feel re-energized and puts a smile on your face (without that psychoactive effect that ruins your day).
Second, our classic formula helps with stress, anxiety, pain, inflammation, and more. You can learn more by reading our beginner’s guide.
Third, our nighttime formula helps put you to sleep so soundly that you won’t know anything but the sunrise the morning after eating one or two of them.
Even better, because we provide clear usage instructions (which you can read on our product page), you’ll know the right amount of edibles to eat so that you can enjoy the relaxing benefits without having them impact your everyday life.
In fact, they positively impacted Nicole’s daily health routine:
“In love with these gummies! They make my daily health routine so much more fun! Classic in the morning, Goodtime for a mid-afternoon boost and I'm sleeping so much better with the Nighttime Gummies. They've got the perfect amount of CBN so I can get to sleep (but don't get the intense weed-dreams). Very happy, very tasty” — Nicole L.